Carter and James explaination of the Stream of Consciousness
Thursday March 17th 2011, 6:48 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

While reading the work of both James and Carter I realized that they both seem to be following almost the same views on consciousness. Interesting thing is that James’ interpertation dates back to the 1890s while Carter’s is much more recent in 2002. Just from the dates I noticed that this topic on a way one observes things has been going on for so many years trying to establish a set ground or a set meaning for it.

When I read James’ piece one line that stood out the most to me was “Immediately, after 0 [seconds], even before we have opened our mouths to speak, the entire thought is present to our mind in the form of an intention to utter that sentence” (280) here I thought that James view on preception is that one always has thoughts of the object. Our minds view the object, think of what it could be and then say well this is what it is. I think James tries to say that our eyes and minds work together. In James’ piece i felt as though he was saying that the order in which we see things is very important, in the sense that when we are looking at an object what we first see, then second, third and so on is what out brain will pick up and put all together to make sense of it.

In Carter’s piece she uses reading as a exapmle to prove her theory of consciousness, which is very simlar to James’ Carter questions “Does your consciousness flow smoothly, continuously, and in real time? Or does it lurch along, punctuated by jump-cuts and freeze-frames, flashbacks and fade-outs” (Carter 12) as she tries to explain that your mind is countinuly processing words it sees on a page while you read. Your eyes read the indivdual words but it is your mind that makes seanse on it.

I feel taht both James and Carter seem to have the same thoughts in mind and that is that the thought of the human mind is continous.  Both writers state that the mind is constantly thinking and the eyes are the factor used to help the mind think. What the eye sees is what the brain will make sense of, as proved in James’ theory of the thoughts being continouus yet broken down in parts. Carter uses the computer reading as the exapmle, the rapid movement of the eyes that can be obtained by the computer shouws that the eyes are one source for seeing but the brain is the main source that works with the eyes to help percieve the object and make sense of it all.

Betty, Great selections from James and Carter– but I wonder, does it really all come down to the eyes? Are the images that our eyes register really identical to “consciousness”? Think more about this.

I’ll overlook the late post this time. Thanks for your work.
4/4

Comment by    Dominique 03.29.11 @ 1:05 pm